Monday, July 4, 2011

1000 Postiversary special: Celebrity Top 10!

Well, The AGS blog has hit post #1000 and thank you everyone who has been reading all this time and despite the recent decline in the size of my posts to just linking to other people's articles. At least Dual still actually writes stuff!

Anyway, I went to a number of AGS Celebrities and asked them for their top 3s. Actually, I asked for game series but only Ben304 actually read my message properly. And also some celebrities said they'd give me a list but then didn't.... you know who you are!

Without further ado, here's the list. We'll start with Ben "304" Chandler's list of his favourite series:

The series with the weirdest numbering ever, going 1, 2, 3, 0, 4, X1, H1, X2, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3! This series features lots of pneumatic girls and a unique and colourful art style. Initially a spoof of Blade Runner of sorts, I think its evolved into entirely its own wonderful world.

Created by the Herculean efforts of two brothers, the great art, music and fun of these two games (one of which was deluxified) won them a huge swathe of AGS Awards that you can't argue with.

In the last year these 3 cracking games have come out and each one improves its gameplay from the previous. If only all AGS authors could generate such quality AND quantity. Maybe that's why Ben likes them...


Next is Mr Mark Lovegrove, also known as m0ds.

m0ds says "Not a point & click adventure, but a wonderful turn based game." The only person in the list to get two mentions, Technocrat gives us (in the same few months as he made Technobabylon, etc) a strategy game with multiplayer and single player options. Wow. It won 2 AGS awards: programming and best non-adventure.

m0ds says "I like remakes and I like sequels, and I like it when people take old AGS games and make new ones. Red Flagg remake doesn't take much time to play, and it's just loverly!"

m0ds says "Such a mellow, rewarding but easy to play game in the series. One of few AGS games I've sat and played with other people, and one of the few games I'm happy just to sit and watch other people play."

Mr Khris has also given his favourites:

Yahtzee's last "proper" adventure game, as it turns out. Opinions are divided, but Khris likes it. So did enough people to give it best story and best Non-Player Character AGS Awards. Good old Trilby was a very popular character in all his many games!

Bernie's mini MAGS masterpiece pleases on many many levels. Winner of best puzzles and best short game in the AGS Awards that year, unfortunately AGS database wrongly shows he didn't make other games, but he is also responsible for the fabulous Reactor 09.

Theodor Waern's game won a record number of AGS awards and is undergoing a remake in higher resolution ready for going commercial. Another example of some of the excellence that AGS can generate.

And everybody's favourite Monkey_05_06:

Nominating fellow-nominator Ben304, this is perhaps a lesser known one from the prolific Mr Chandler. Maybe its because its more of a story than a game, but a great little story at that. Ben's usually awesome and atmospheric graphics are there throughout.

Radiant's Crystal Shard studio produced this Harry Potter parody and voices were provided by the Mittens attendees one year. Quite tricky for some people, but has a place in the hearts of many.

Well, you can hardly have a top AGS game list without something from Yahtzee, Grundislav and... Dave Gilbert. Perhaps not the one you'd expect, but this AGS Team competition winner is an interesting precursor to some game mechanics from Dave's other games.


Some of you may have noticed that this is actually 12 games, not 10, but who's counting!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!

    Accidentally, Case 6 is also one of my favorite Ben Jordan games. Probably would be THE favorite if not for the Deluxe versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation on reaching the (always impressive) 1000th post! Happy anniversary!

    And what an utterly excellent list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernie has other games, like Reactor 09.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D'oh of course he does. Why doesnt the games DB show it under CATR, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I've officially been labeled as an AGS Celebrity! I can now die happy! ^_^

    Also, where is the infamous SuperScottishHero's favorite games/series? And no voting for Princess Marian you biased fool! :D

    And I blame my misreading on the excitement of my discovery of Oceanspirit Dennis (don't know why I never came across it before really). I've also played Apprentice, and perhaps Apprentice 2, but I don't recall if I ever beat them. I didn't actually beat ToaK, but I enjoyed it a lot. :D Also, while I have your attention what was that game where you played as a frog and had to give that bridge lady a French baguette? One of the first I played.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot! Congratulations on the milestone. (And I'm not just saying that because my games were mentioned) :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason for the numbering system is so that just playing the games in the right order is itself a puzzle. See, it's a commentary on game design or something. It's all very meta, I assure you.

    The reason for the pneumatic women is because I like pneumatic women. Which is a commentary on boobies or something, no doubt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments clean: foul language means your comment will not get published. Sorry for the captcha, was getting to much spam.